Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Chronological

I'll attempt to post at least once a day; whatever time permits...

Captain's log, stardate 1312.4,

I have come back to my hometown, visiting the parental units. Stuck within the confine of my old bedroom with no cable (couldn't even watch the NBA finals yesterday, but I got to read about it :D, right?), I decided to take out my Nintendo DS and continue an adventure across time. So let's tackle a video game today.
  
I can't remember the amount of times that I have played this game; I never had the chance to own Chrono Trigger for the Super Nintendo (though I had borrowed it), but I was able to pick up a copy of Final Fantasy Chronicles at a local Fry's back when I was in middle school. However, the convenience of traveling with one of my favorite RPGs is what sold me on this iteration (well, also combined with the fan in me... trying to make some kind of economical justification).

Corridors of time:
Out of the games I own, only a handful do I revisit on more than one occasion, this being one of them. No matter how many time I play this game, it truly never gets old for me; from the traditional JRPG style, to the soundtrack, and the cast. Although he has no speaking lines, Chrono is one of my favorite game characters; the stoic, selfless, warrior that stops a monster plaguing generations of people (as opposed to someone like Squall, who just cries for most of Final Fantasy VIII).

The absurdity of the story, as told by a 10 year old, never fails to amaze me either (wake up => festival => hero of time), and re-experiencing it now is still the same; the journey and discovery of the worlds fate is a masterpiece in classic gaming. One of the most intriguing and defining moments of this tale is during the Kingdom of Zeal's fall; seeing a power hungry individual cause the destruction of an advanced civilization and the fall of a hero. It is moments such as these that keep me playing.

So as I finish writing this, I suppose I will get back to playing Chrono Trigger. In light of re-releases such as Final Fantasy III and IV, I wondered how I would feel with a graphical remake. I would probably love it, but I guess I appreciate this version having been untouched; reliving this game as I first experienced it.

No comments:

Post a Comment